Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Gemina Book Review


Gemina By: Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff


Pub Date: 10/18/16 by Knopf Books for Young Readers
*DO NOT READ SYNOPSIS BELOW IF YOU HAVEN'T READ ILLUMINAE*
The sci-fi saga that began with the breakout bestseller Illuminae continues on board the Jump Station Heimdall, where two new characters will confront the next wave of the BeiTech assault.

Hanna is the station captain’s pampered daughter; Nik the reluctant member of a notorious crime family. But while the pair are struggling with the realities of life aboard the galaxy's most boring space station, little do they know that Kady Grant and the Hypatia are headed right toward Heimdall, carrying news of the Kerenza invasion.

When an elite BeiTech strike team invades the station, Hanna and Nik are thrown together to defend their home. But alien predators are picking off the station residents one by one, and a malfunction in the station's wormhole means the space-time continuum might be ripped in two before dinner. Soon Hanna and Nik aren’t just fighting for their own survival; the fate of everyone on the Hypatia—and possibly the known universe—is in their hands.

But relax. They've totally got this. They hope.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler-Free Review Below!
Illuminae was in my top 3 most loved book of 2015 last year, so you could imagine how high my expectations were for Gemina. To put it short and sweet, this is not a book you want to pass up on. The Illuminae Files, in its entirety, is filled with everything you want out of a futuristic, intense novel. It's packed with bad ass characters, an epic story line, and a plot twist at the end that will leave you speechless.
I honestly, didn't think Jay and Amie could do it again, but oh, they did. There was never a dull moment, I wanted to stay immersed in this world for as long as possible. The writing and very easy to follow which is quite impressive since it was co-written. I really loved the sarcastic, arrogant side comments just thrown into the most serious situations ever. I LOLed quite a bit. On the other hand,  from page 1 to page 608, I was on the edge of my seat hoping nothing bad was going to happen to the characters I had grown to love. 
Since I brought the characters up, I'm just going to go ahead and say that I definitely grew closer to Kady and Ezra than Hanna and Nik. I don't know why, I only explanation I can come up with is that Gemina has more important characters in it than Illuminae did and there were more people to focus on than just them two. 
The artwork and quotes were just absolutely stunning. There were many moments were I grabbed a notebook and jotted down sentences that really struck my heart. I cannot wait to see them spreading throughout Instagram and everyone raving about how much of an emotional rollercoaster this series is.
Overall, I cannot express enough how thrilling and mind boggling this series is. There are so many twists and turns and you'll be holding your breath until the very end. Two characters who are complete opposites and are racing against time to save their home is not something you want to pass up on. If you haven't picked up Illuminae yet, go buy yourself a copy, make a big cup of coffee, and binge it until the last page. You're in for a treat.

Star Rating: 5/5!
-Savannah @abookowl 

No comments:

Post a Comment