Friday, October 21, 2016

Bookstagram Friday #3: Editing Photos and Finding Your Theme



Happy FridayYAY!
I hope everyone is having a wonderful start to their weekend and has some fun plans to look forward to! I'll be spending my weekend relaxing and reading. :)
Bookstagram Friday is something I'll be adding back to my blog! Every Friday, I will upload a blog post similar to this one, but each one will focus on a different topic to help improve, change, or begin your Bookstagram account! Today's post is all about editing your photos and finding a theme you enjoy for your account. I'll also talk about my favorite editing apps and favorite themes!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing:
Editing your photos can be very tough. It can sometimes be hard to edit them to match your theme so everything flows when people look at your profile. Or, maybe the lighting is off and your photos are a bit grainy and fuzzy (Photography tips will be in BF #4!). That is the ups and downs of editing. I struggled with editing for a while and I'm just now getting a hold on what I think looks nice to me. Hopefully these tips will help you guys if you're struggling with editing!

Tips for Editing:
1. Experiment! Try making your photos darker or lighter, play with saturation, filters, and warmth to see what looks best to YOU! The main tip I can give you guys is to stick with what appeals to you. You have to love your own photos before anyone else can. 

2. Backgrounds. Maybe the reason why you are having issues editing your photos is because the photo itself is too plain or too chaotic. Some backgrounds I recommend that many bookstagrammers use are blankets (fuzzy preferably!), rugs (I use a faux fur one), and your bookshelf! Printed backgrounds can sometimes be a bit distracting and could take the spotlight off of the book you're showcasing.

3. Natural lighting is key! Another big tip I give people when they ask for advice is to always use natural lighting. Find the brightest spot in your home (if you take your photos indoors) and lay your background down there. Also, find out when it's the brightest in that area, the brighter the better! When you use natural light, your photos look so much better even if you're going for a more darker theme. That means you won't need to edit so much! 

My favorite editing apps: Instagram's general editing tools ( I am currently using those. I don't edit my photos that much since I found a spot that has good lighting!), VSCO, and Touch Blur.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Themes:
Oh, themes, you love them and you hate them. They are hard to stick to, but are so pretty to look at. Theming my photos is the thing I've struggled with the most ever since I began @abookowl and just now found what I was looking for. Everyone struggles with finding a theme that they love at least once. If you didn't, you are one of the very few. 

Tips for Finding Your Theme:
1. Stalk your favorite bookstagram accounts. Now, don't take this too seriously. I'm not telling you to copy their account, that is definitely not what I mean. What I am meaning is that you should go and look at your favorite bookstagram accounts and see what type of theme they have. There are many categories, but all themes fall under one of these two, light or dark. Brighter, more colorful themes are my favorites. Take what you love from their theme and reflect it on your photos, but make it your own.

2. Base it off of your weather! I know this sounds dumb, but that is what many people are doing right now! I just recently made my theme more cozy for autumn and I'm loving it! Adding in mini pumpkins and fall candles into my photos is so much fun + it gets you more invested in that current season.

3. Pick something that makes you happy. I know I said this in the editing section, but it is essential. Your account is for you and if you're not liking what you're uploading, try something new. Don't just keep it because someone else likes what they see. Everyone will end up falling in love with whatever ever you choose, you just have to fall in love with it first. ;)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
There you guys go! I hope my tips were useful.  Also, I hope you guys are enjoying this little series I'm doing and are excited for #4 dropping next Friday! I am thinking of doing a Bookstagram Q&A for #5, we will see. ;)
Comment your IG username down below so I can follow you if I don't already!
Thank you for reading, subscribe through email to get an email whenever I drop a new review or BF post! You can also follow through Google+!
I hope you all have a lovely weekend! 

-Savannah ( @abookowl )

*I'm in no way telling you to change your account! I'm just giving advice to those of you who might want tips for this topic. I have been on IG for close to 2 years now and have learned how to grow and improve my account over the years and just wanted to share!*

No comments:

Post a Comment