Wednesday, January 13, 2016

My Thoughts On: Shadowhunters TV Show


Shadowhunters: Tuesdays 9/8pm EST on Freeform (ABC Family)


  Last night was the season premiere of the Shadowhunters TV show that is based off of The Mortal Instruments book series by Cassandra Clare. I was very excited about the release of the show, even though I've only read City of Bones and City of Ashes, I'm definitely a fan of the books. I'm not going to lie, I was a bit skeptical about them making a TV show. The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones movie was horrible if you ask me. The actors that played the roles of Clary and Jace just weren't the correct actors. I thought it was based more around the romance than the supernatural aspects that made the book whole. 
  On the other hand, I still had hope that the show would be much better since there is a different director, different characters, and it's not a movie. I went into it with high expectations and let me just say, I wasn't disappointed.

Pros:
  • The actors and actresses: I believe they chose the PERFECT actors for the main/supporting character roles. Katherine McNamara was the perfect match for Clary. She had that sheltered/needy look in the beginning of the show, but once everything took and a turn, she turned into a fighter.  Dominic Sherwood (Jace), Alberto Rosende (Simon), Harry Shum Jr (Magnus) etc. were all perfect for their roles.
  • The setting: Right off the bat, you could tell the show was going to be dark and mysterious. It definitely drew me in at the right moments. 
  • Friendship goals: Simon and clay's friendship is literally goals!!! It almost like they are brother and sister, they're so much alike.
  • The runes and seraph blades: Wow. I would not trust myself with one of those.
Cons:
  • The dialog: Ehh, it could have been better. At moments, it was pretty cheesy. Some of the side comments just weren't needed. A little cringe worthy.
  • The Institute: I never pictured it looking like that. I knew that the Lightwoods had some good tech skill, but really? It looked like a science lab to me.
Pro/Con:
  • Book to TV: It wasn't similar, but it wasn't completely different.

  Overall, I really didn't have that many issues with the show. I think they planned it out well and really thought about what the fans were going to think about it. Hopefully, in episode 2, the action really picks up and more is uncovered.
  
What did you think of the show? Leave a comment, I'd love to hear your opinion!

-Savannah @abookowl ig

No comments:

Post a Comment