Thursday, January 14, 2016

George Book Review

George by: Alex Gino




*Thank you so much Scholastic for sending me a copy of this book for review!*



George is about a fourth grade girl named George. She knows she's not a boy. She knows she's a girl. But, when people look at her, they see a boy. She wants to change that. 
When her class is doing a play, Charlotte's Web, and George wants to be Charlotte. Her teacher says she cannot even tryout because she's a boy. Her and her best friend, Kelly, come up with an idea for George to be Charlotte. Not only will she be able to play Charlotte, but everyone can know who she is inside also.


This was such an important read to me. I support the LGBTQ community, so I knew I had to read this. Also, knowing that this is a children's book made it even more special.
This is a very touchy topic, so I don't want this to go into great detail because I'm not an expert on this topic, but I'll do my best. Feel free to say your thoughts in the comments! Everyone's thoughts should be heard.


I loved this book. It really showed what goes through a transgender person's head and how they feel. George was such a sweetheart. I loved how passionate she was about Charlotte and being Charlotte in the play. 


There was the characters that made my heart hurt for her. Being so young and not knowing what is right and what is wrong, she could only go by what her heart was telling her. She didn't have anyone to talk to about it and was too nervous to tell her mom how she felt. The ending of the book was an expected. Due to it being a middle grade book, it could only end one way. The writing style was too simple for me, but it had to be.
Overall, I highly recommend this book to everyone out there wanting to explore this topic more. This book is one of a kind and deserves all the praise possible.


Star Rating: 4.5/5 stars


-Savannah @abookowl ig

No comments:

Post a Comment